Re: Oracle 8.1.5 Java Problem

From: Michael Smith <mike.smith_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 20:15:22 -0500

Here's the exact message I get when I run the dbassist tool provided by Oracle in 8.1.5:
java.lang.NumberFormatException:

        at java.lang.Long.parseLong(Long.java)
        at java.lang.Long.parseLong(Long.java)
        at WizOSD.DBQueryAvailableRAM(WizOSD.java:296)
        at CheckerClass.CheckAvailableRAM(CheckerClass.java:496)
        at CheckerClass.DetectAll(CheckerClass.java:63)
        at DBConfigInfo_base.<init>(DBConfigInfo_base.java:901)
        at DBConfigInfo.<init>(DBConfigInfo.java:44)
        at DBCreateWizard.<init>(DBCreateWizard.java:421)
        at DBCreateWizard.main(DBCreateWizard.java:1082)

Any clues or ideas? I am not a java programmer but it looks like a problem in the long type or the way dbassist is using a long. I wish I could play around with the source code but I can't find the dbassist code(DBCreateWizard.java)

"Urs Hunkeler" <uhu_at_gmx.ch> wrote in message news:3854AB21.7FDA733E_at_gmx.ch...
> When did your problem occure? While installing, or does the installation
> run allright, but your own program in Java doesn't? How does the code
> look like which throws the NumberException (or do you mean
> NumberFormatException)?
> Maybe I had the same problem as you. I tried to parse the value of a
> field as Integer like:
>
> int n = Integer.parseInt(oraField.toString());
>
> which doesn't work because Oracle returns an Integer as number plus a
> period (i.e. "1."). I could solve the problem by using the following
> Statement:
>
> int n = ((Number)oraField).intValue();
>
> which is much nicer anyway.
>
> Michael Smith schrieb:
> >
> > I had this problem attempting to use Oracle 8.1.5's dbassist on
Linux