Re: OS Password authentication

From: QuestionExchange <USENET_at_questionexchange.com>
Date: 13 Dec 1999 15:53:24 GMT

You are confused. /etc/passwd is for the UNIX logon and has nothing to do with logging on to Oracle. Let's do this -
If what you want is for folks to use OS authentication this just means IF you are acceptable to the OS you will be acceptable to Oracle. You create the Oracle accounts with the OPS$ in front of the UNIX account name so if someone has a UNIX account jdoe there Oracle account would be OPS$JDOE. They don't have a password in Oracle so once loged onto the UNIX account a simple sqlplus / loggs them on to Oracle. NO init.ora parameters are modified from the defaults for the above to work. You can choose to change the OPS$ however by changing the OS Authentication string to a null in which case you'd make the Oracle account exactly the same as the UNIX account JDOE rahter than OPS$JDOE.
Internal is not challenged when you logon via svrmgrl IF you logon through the oracle Unix account or some other authorized user. If you want it to be then set the remote password parameter to EXCLUSIVE and create an oracle password file using the paswd command.
Heh! I've got an idea - take the Oracle DBA course :-) Good Luck!
> How can I set up the /etc/passwd file for passwd
authentication
> on a unix box.
>
> I think I setup the /etc/passwd file. The changes in
init.ora
> is confusing me. I still, for example, do not understand
what $ops

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com   http://www.questionexchange.com/showUsenetGuest.jhtml?ans_id=8616&cus_id=USENET&qtn_id=7944 Received on Mon Dec 13 1999 - 09:53:24 CST