failed to extend rollback segment

From: <rkegel_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 14:31:20 GMT

Hi,

I ran several insert and update statements on large tables (~100'000 records) using Oracle on Win NT and
encountered the problem of too small rollback segements for some of these statements, e.g.:

ORA-01562: failed to extend rollback segment number 3 ORA-01650: unable to extend rollback segment RS3 by 512 in tablespace RBS or

ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
ORA-01562: failed to extend rollback segment number 5
ORA-01650: unable to extend rollback segment RLARGE by 1280 in
tablespace RBS

The strange thing is that e.g. RS3 has an initial size of 2'048 K with a max. number of extents
of 249, and RLARGE has an initial size of 5'120 K with the same number of extents.

The whole tablespace has an actual size of 60 MB and may be extended to 120 MB.

How can it be that updating a table of the size of some Megabytes needs a rollback segment larger than
0.5 GB? (2'048 K x 249)

What is going on? Are these error messages misleading? Or am I missing something else?

I know that I can specifically set a rollback segment for a certain statement with

        set transaction use rollback segment xyz

but I am not sure whether it makes any sense to further increase any of these rollback segments and
retry the statements...

Thank you for your help.
Rainer

---
Rainer Kegel
http://www.scheuring.ch

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Dec 13 1999 - 08:31:20 CST