Re: tuning of views

From: mgumbs <mgumbsNOmgSPAM_at_hotmail.com.invalid>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 00:59:36 -0800

In the past when i have done reports based on multiple views, i always seems to have problem getting the swine to run faster. It is best to first tune all 3 views to their optimal using Explain Plan and TKPROF.
When using all 3 in the report, use explain plan to check the execution path. You'll probably find a few full table scans on some of your views. A trick i used to use is to select 'something' from an indexed field even if i am not directly using it in my main query, just to force the query to use the index. i have seen improvements in speed using this. It can be a bit hit and miss, you'll just have to try it and study your execution plans.

The following is just an example of what i am talking about.

select empno, ename, manager
from emp_view e, manager_view mgr
where e.man_no = m.man_no
-- The next line is used just to force the query to use an index and e.id > 0;

If you can write the query without the views, try that first.

HTH Good luck!

Mark