Install purgatory.....

From: Bill B <wgblackmon_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 20:42:01 -0500

I'm attempting to install
Oracle 8.1.5.0.0 on a Pentium machine.
I am only trying to install the client
piece as the actual database will reside on another machine. I am experiencing the following during the installation 'process'. I select Client. I select the source and target directories as well as 'home' name. I go to the next screen  and the installation begins. After about 12% of the installation, errors begin occuring. Files are not found on the CD or are 'unable to be installed'. I have the option of either 'retry' or 'cancel', which allows me to skip the installation of this particular item. Sometimes I get to the end of the installation (100%), at which time I'm tolds it's unsuccessful, sometimes the installation hangs forever at a certain spot. In any case, I've tried this about 15 times today in various ways and it never works. I had Oracle Lite installed previous to this, but deleted it and all it's items in the registry, so I'd like to think it's gone.

I also installed Oracle8 Client, version 8.0.5.0.0 with no problem and attempted to reinstall on top of it, but that just led to more problems. Does one have to be a certified DBA to install this stuff or am I missing something here?

Any hints would be appreciated

Thanks,
Bill Blackmon

[ technologist ]