Re: Use ODBC for Oracle DBLink

From: TurkBear <johng_at_mm.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 15:35:42 GMT

As far as I know, you cannot use ODBC connections as a DBLink, only native SqlNet ....

If you need access to the remote Oracle database with a tool that only uses ODBC, you could do the following:

Create a DBLink using the tnsnames.ora alias for the remote database ( the entry must be in the tnsnames.ora file on your local Oracle server)

Create view(s) in your Oracle database of the tables you need to access on the remote Oracle database _ create view select * from remote_table_at_dblinkname Use ODBC to access your Oracle and the views you created...

Proceed ...
hth,