Re: difference b/w varchar and varchar2

From: Clement McGann <cmcgann>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 17:05:42 GMT

On Sat, 4 Dec 1999 17:25:46 +0500, "Aamir Khan" <akhan_at_atlantic2000.com> wrote:

>What is the difference between varchar and varchar2 ???
>
>Regards,
>Aamir Khan

as I understand it ( and I could be wrong) varchar2 has a trailing hex00 delimiting the length of your varying length character string, this is correctly implemented in Oracle, while varchar has a leading length field bit 16 specifying the length but current releases of oracle do not implement this therefore always use varchar2
or if someday they do implement varchar you could be in trouble