Re: Trigger Question about the new and old

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 07:55:37 -0500

A copy of this was sent to "wls" <cuba_at_ms.chttl.com.tw> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Thu, 9 Dec 1999 13:10:06 +0800, you wrote:

>1 Can I use the new as a parameter of a PL/SQL procedure???

no, you must pass the individual components along.

You can use a small sqlplus script like:

set echo off
set verify off
set heading off
set feedback off

prompt Declare
prompt rowrec &1%rowtype;;
prompt begin
select chr(9) || 'rowrec.' || column_name || ' := :new.' || column_name || ';'   from user_tab_columns
 where table_name = upper('&1')
/
prompt end;;

to generate the trigger body with a 'rowrec' variable that can be passed. for example:

tkyte_at_8.0> @test emp
Declare
rowrec emp%rowtype;
begin

        rowrec.EMPNO := :new.EMPNO;
        rowrec.ENAME := :new.ENAME;
        rowrec.JOB := :new.JOB;
        rowrec.MGR := :new.MGR;
        rowrec.HIREDATE := :new.HIREDATE;
        rowrec.SAL := :new.SAL;
        rowrec.COMM := :new.COMM;
        rowrec.DEPTNO := :new.DEPTNO;

end;

>2 Where is the description of new/old??

new and old are the after and before images of the entire row that was modified. triggers in general (and new and old) are described in the application developers guide.

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Thu Dec 09 1999 - 06:55:37 CST