Re: Salaries

From: Nat Kidder <kidder.nat_at_orbcomm.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 16:30:19 GMT

plast wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I have a question about salaries for Oracle DBA's, Unix Adminis,
> and Network Engineers.
>
> Currently, I am an Oracle DBA with a strong Unix backgroud who is
> making the high 70's in the U.S.
>
> Recently someone tried to sell me on the idea of getting my Cisco
> certification and making a job change to tcp networking engineering.
> They claimed that it would pay far better then eith Unix admin or
> Oracle DBA.
>
> I've been doing Unix and Oracle for close to 10 to 15 years now; if
> I do as this guy suggested, I would be almost throwing that away.
Further,
> I find that it would cost approx 10,000 in classes to pass the exams
> and get the certification.
>
> I have a strong feeling that this would be a foolish move. Do you
> agree?
>
> Perhaps my salary of the high 70's is out of scale? Should I be
> able to get much more by hunging around in my current field without
> shlepping the bucks to get the Cisco cert and then changing gears?
> How much to top DBA's and Unix admins get verses tcpip guru's?
>
> Thanks
>
> Marv

One other factor is which skill will still be in demand several years from now. 20 years ago, teletype experts were highly sought after, but now those job skills won't get you anywhere. Unfortunately, career decisions nowadays require you be a futurist.

Hope this helps,

Nat
Rockville, Maryland