Re: A funny question about Oracle service

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 23:01:05 +0100

Yes, there definitely is a reason. Of course, Oracle supports networks of distributed databases. Networks are divided in domains, which allows you to have the same database name in multiple domains. Such domains would us.oracle.com and nl.oracle.com (they should be DNS domains). In your case you have one database and a flat naming scheme. The value of the db_domain parameter has not been set by you so it would always default to world. So, no, you can not turn it of, and you should start to bother when you are in a distributed environment.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA