Functions that Insert data and return value

From: Gates <twofourblue_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 14:53:02 -0500

I created a function that creates a record in a table and returns the id of this record. Unfortunately I keep getting the following:

'Function GET_EQUIP_ID does not guarantee not to update database'.

I searched and found out that to use a function in SQL the function could not have any side effects. Is there any way around this? It seemed like a very simple problem at first...

Thanks

Gates Received on Tue Dec 07 1999 - 13:53:02 CST