Re: Are these "features" or bugs?

From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes_at_waltdnes.org>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 01:59:39 -0500

On Sat, 04 Dec 1999 08:58:35 -0500, Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com> wrote:

> Consider using UTL_FILE to create nicely formatted reports
> (you can write directly to disk this way)
  That is *NOT* an option. We are talking a large government meteorological database. I am a end-user. I might rate as a "power-user", but a glorified end-user, nonetheless. The DBA is *NOT* going to grant me (or similar people at our regional offices) write-access on the production machine, period. I'm happy just to get permission to create/load packages on the production machine. This allows me to "select my own functions that return character strings" in order to produce more than one meg of output to a spool file.

  I understand that the D2K product has UTL_FILE, but it only seems to be up to version 7.X PL/SQL (no varrays, etc). Also, I believe the processing takes place on the client. Even a "fast" windows machine is a joke compared to a real unix server.

  Has someone written a simple utility that allows output from the server to be "piped" (Oracle's buzzword) to a Windows 8.0.5 client under PL/SQL program control? Come on guys, it's an absolute joke that PL/SQL can't write to the client without some painful add-on.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes_at_waltdnes.org> Received on Mon Dec 06 1999 - 00:59:39 CST