Re: Oracle, Objects and Relational Model

From: <wolfgangwkeller_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 22:39:53 GMT

In article <383E3E22.1B0F2800_at_gmv.es>,
  Adolfo =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=E1nchez?= <adfsanchez_at_gmv.es> wrote:

this question is somewhat tough as you might see from the number of answers so far .

There is plenty of experience with O/R mapping tools for conventional RDBMS (without the OR extensions) as you can see if you have a look at
http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_db_systems_3.html

There are also plenty of patterns that you will find in most of the products ... see
http://www.objectarchitects.de/ObjectArchitects/orpatterns/index.htm

We can expect that an access layer on top of an OR DB will look very similar to the ones on Rel DBs except that some mapping features like e.g. for inheritance will not be needed. I take my confidence from the fact that the patterns behind O/R mappers and OODBs are identical to a great extent - and a good O/R mapper has an architecture somewhat near to an OODB - except for the storage management

But again - your question is tough as I have not yet seen a product or a product solution that uses the OR database extensions

So my suggestion would be...
* if you want a quick solution - take one of the O/R mapping tools   that are commercially available
* if you have time, want to do an innovative project - try to build   your own on top of an OR database

If I'm wrong and somebody else has information on access layers on top of OR extended databases, I'd be glad to har about that and check it out, as I'm interested in anything on persistence

Hope that helps

Wolfgang

http://www.objectarchitects.de/ObjectArchitects/
> Hello,
>
> I have to store objects (its attributes) in Oracle and I'm considering
> two options:
>
> First one: storing mapping attributes to columns and objects to rows,
> that is,applying translation from the Object Oriented Paradigm to the
> Relational Model Paradigm and using tables, records, foreign keys...
>
> Second: storing them as objects using the Object Type provided by
Oracle
> 8 and the OTT (Object Type Translator) tool.
>
> Which is the best?, Have you got any experience with OTT?, What do you
> recommend to me?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adolfo.
> --
> Adolfo Sánchez Domínguez GMV, S.A. Grupo de Mecánica de Vuelo
> mailto:adfsanchez_at_gmv.es Sector Foresta,1. TRES CANTOS
> PHO: +34 91 806 4443 E-28760 MADRID (SPAIN)
> FAX: +34 91 806 4641 http://www.gmv.es

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sat Dec 04 1999 - 16:39:53 CST