Re: soundex function

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 00:42:38 -0500

Soundex should work equally as well (or as poorly) for any western language. The principles behind Soundex are to eliminate vowels, group consonants with similar sounds together, and assign a unique number to each group. I am sure that you will find some inconsistencies when applying Soundex to French, but we have the same problem in English. Soundex has been in use for over 100 years (I know that it was used in the 1890 United States census) because it is both fast and reasonably accurate in its groupings.

hth
jerry gitomer

Ram wrote in message <828s58$cl3$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
|Could someone help me:
|I use the function Soundex to get data from a table for the
fields
|that have the same prounciation. The problem is that the
spelling engine