Re: Can't Grant "select"

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 12:31:50 -0500

A copy of this was sent to "Joe" <Dont_at_Send.Com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Thu, 2 Dec 1999 16:50:10 -0000, you wrote:

>Thanks Andrew
>But how does ORC grab it (become the owner) when I logged on and created it,
>as System?

it doesn't. something else is happening here.

please cut and paste the entire sqlplus session. something like:

SQL>show user
USER is "TKYTE"
SQL>create view my_view as select * from dual;

View created.

SQL>select owner, view_name from all_views where view_name = 'MY_VIEW';

OWNER                          VIEW_NAME
TKYTE                          MY_VIEW

SQL> so we can see what is happening...

>Andrew Williamson
>> Better off actually finding out who owns the view. If it is orc and you
>> don't have the password, then connect as a dba and alter the orc password.
>> Then, reconnect as orc and grant all privileges to dba.
>>
>> I fell into the same trap - my way of thinking is that system in oracle is
>> equivalent to root in unix. Wrong! Because you are dba, you DON'T
>> automatically get superuser rights to everything. You need to be given
>them.
>>
>> AW

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Thu Dec 02 1999 - 11:31:50 CST