Foxpro, Oracle cascading update triggers

From: Ray Auger <rauger_at_centurysystems.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 12:09:41 -0500

I am having some problems with Foxpro accessing ORACLE 8 properly. Here are the versions of software I am running:

I have a reasonably simple Oracle database (20 or so tables) some with cascading update triggers. So through Oracle (SQL Plus) I am able to update a primary key value in a parent table, and the correct rows in the children table get updated properly.

I have also built a quick screen in Powerbuilder via ODBC and updated the primary key value in the parent table, and again the correct rows in the children tables get updated properly.

I then define a 'connection' in Foxpro that points to the same ODBC profile I am using above. I create several remote views (via the connection I defined) to the parent and child tables. I attempt to update a primary key value in the parent table (remote view) using both browse screens and Froms. This should force the Oracle cascading update trigger to be executed' IT DOES NOT !

Instead I get a Foxpro error 'UPDATE ERROR' every time.

I have "UPDATE" SQL checked in the view painter, NOT delete/insert.

Has anyone had similiar problems access Oracle, I believe that Foxpro is either ignoring the Oracle triggers or somehow ignoring them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Pylatuk
davep_at_centurysystems.net Received on Thu Dec 02 1999 - 11:09:41 CST