Re: URGENT !!! - LONG value out?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 20:07:27 +0800

Sladic wrote:

> OK, I am sure that you'we heard this question so many times, but I just
> couldn't find the answer: How do I extract value from the LONG field? We
> used free LONG field in PeopleSoft table (on Oracle) to store very short
> information (alternate Vendor ID). Now I need to get that info in
> PSQuery, using pure SQL. How'd ya do it? Is there Oracle Internal for
> it? I saw DBMS_SQL.COLUMN_VALUE_LONG but don't know how to implement it,
> and if it's good for me? Help..., someone,...
>
> smilo

If its less than 32767 bytes, you can use PL/SQL

declare
  x varchar2(32767);
begin
  select longcol
  into x
  from table
  where ...
end;

and you can then use all the normal varchar2 functions (instr,substr etc)...

If its more than 32767, then its dbms_sql you need - look in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/dbmssql.sql
--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Wed Dec 01 1999 - 06:07:27 CST