Re: What's with the raw?

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 15:24:14 GMT

In article <383F7D87.F8071564_at_hotmail.com>,   Tarek <shufimafi_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the reply! :)
>
> I can not change the RAW to LOB (as much as i want to)... the database
> interacts with a third party system, and changing the database will
break
> the application.
> I was trying to look into the RAW files because they store all the
mappings
> frmo a Number ID to the description of the item... until i manage to
read
> the raw all the reports i am able to generate will be a bunch of
numbers...

> is the dbms_raw the only way to manipulate this thing? actually, i was
> looking for a fast way (like a quickview) just to take a look at
what's
> inside... just to see how things are structured....
>
> Tarek
>
> markp7832_at_my-deja.com wrote:
>
> > In article <383E550B.5EEDE4D2_at_hotmail.com>,
> > Tarek <shufimafi_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > a few days ago (maybe more), i posted a message asking for way to
> > access
> > > the information stored in a RAW type... if that question can not
be
> > > answered please inform me!
> > >
> > > Tarek
> > >
> > I do not remember reading your original post and since you did not
re-
> > post it I will suggest you look into the dbms_raw package. It
provides
> > several functions for working with raw data.
> >
> > If you are on version 8 you should switch to using LOB's instead of
raw
> > and see the dbms_lob package which provides I/O routines to read and
> > write binary and character large object values.
> >
> > I hope this helps you.
> > --
> > Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
> > you follow so follow your own advice --

The only way I know to work with raw data is using dbms_raw and via pro*c. If you know the data is a bmp, gif, or some other format you can retrieve it via a pro*c program and use local utilities to display the data.

I believe that you can select raw data in sqlplus for viewing. The is a rawtohex function which sql*plus probably invokes automatically but which in the SQL manual appears as:
 select rawtohex(raw_column) "Graphics" from graphics;

--
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Nov 29 1999 - 09:24:14 CST