Re: Case sensitive ORACLE

From: Alexander Jerusalem <alexander.jerusalem_at_chello.at>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 11:58:55 GMT

I'm trying to find out the same at the moment. According to some postings in deja, there is no such flag or option or anything. Some people suggest to have a second column with an upper case copy of the original text data. Some suggest to use the upper function in the comparison like this: select name from your_table where upper(name) = 'CARLOS'. But that has the drawback that the index isn't used which is impossible if you hav more than a few records in the table. The solution seems to be to use a function index. That's a new feature of Oracle 8i. I haven't tried that though.