Re: Help on getting Oracle data to Apache

From: <anup_mistry_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 20:13:19 GMT

Now guys all of u three are talking abt using cgi etc to get into the oracle database ..
there is one complete different slon..
Load oracle web application server 3.0 upwards on the uding the Apache Web Server as the Listener. Hence now using about 10 lines of code using the PLSQL cartridge there are ready made systems in the HTP package i.e. htp.download procedure is available for pulling out the data onto a webpage dynamically also or else if comfortable with the Perl Cartridge..
If I am on the right track do write back Or check technet.oracle.com -> internet servers -> application server -

In article <81lauh$ibf$5_at_nntp2.atl.mindspring.net>,   ebohlman_at_netcom.com (Eric Bohlman) wrote:
> Makarand Kulkarni (makkulka_at_cisco.com) wrote:
> : Noira Hadi wrote:
> :
> : > Hello,
> : >
> : > I am currently working to get data from Oracle database and
publish them
> : > to webpage, running on Apache server by using some search
strings. I was
> : > suggested to use Perl for the job. I browsed some website and
newsgroup
> : > on getting some info. Appeciate if anyone could advise on the
items
> : > below:
> : > 1) What driver do I need for the job? ( I have installed
DBI/DBD on
> : > my machine)
> :
> : DBD::Oracle
> [snip]
> : Once you have DBI installed and the DBD::Oracle accessing Oracle
databases
> : is not differnet
> : from accessing from any other databases. You can grab any script
that
> : accesses databases
> : using DBI as sample code and make it work.
>
> One thing to beware of: opening a connection to an Oracle database is
> *not* particularly fast; if your program logic requires establishing
> connection each time a page is served, things will bog down quickly.
If
> that's the case, you should look into something like mod-perl of
FastCGI
> that will allow you to maintain a persistent connection to the
database.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sat Nov 27 1999 - 14:13:19 CST