Re: Installing 8i on RH6.1 - Multiple problems

From: Greg McCann <gregm_at_well.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 10:21:09 -0800

Jaime Garcia wrote:

> Greg McCann wrote:
>
> > 1. When the installer tries to automatically run the Oracle Database
> > Configuration Assistant, it fails with the error message "A required command
> > line argument is missing". I saw a message in this newsgroup saying that I
> > should be using jre 1.1.7v3 rather than the Oracle-recommended 1.1.6v5. I've
> > installed the newer jre and still get the same error.
> >

> I read somewhere that you have to choose custom instalation, it does not work with
> typical nor minimal.

Yes, I think that is right.

> > 2. After quitting the installation, I try to run the ODCA (dbassist) manually
> > while logged in as "oracle". The first error I get is a little red alarm bell
> > with the message "JNLS Exception: oracle.ntpg.jnls.UNLSException. Unable to
> > find any National Character Sets. Please check your Oracle installation".
> >
> > This does not seem to be a fatal error. The ODCA loads and I select
> > Create/Typical/Create new/OLTP. I accept the defaults for the following screens
> > and it gets to the Database Creation screen. I get the red alarm bell again and
> > the message "ORA_01012: not logged in". This is a fatal error. If I try
> > running dbassist logged in as root, I get to the same place and get the error
> > message "ORA_01031: insufficient privileges".
> >
> > The next time I try to run dbassist, it thinks that the database I tried
> > unsuccessfully to create already exists and it will not let me create it again.
> > Of course, it will not let me delete it either. :(
> >

> Ive tried a lot of things and I found that error always "ORA_02012: not logged in "
> when I look at
> /$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/log/ora_xxx.trc
> I found a several suspicius warning like
> "skgm warning: EINVAL creating segment os size 0000000004910000
> fix stun parameters in /etc/system or equivalent"
> no idea what they mean or how to fix it

Me either, though some magical combination of mouse clicks made this error go away. I think this is one of those situations where you are better off just searching for a non-booby-trapped installation path rather than trying to decode Oracle's internal functions.

> > 3. SQL*PLUS. First, the installation does not make sqlplus executable. I
> > chmod +x sqlplus. Then when I try to run it I get the error message "./sqlplus:
> > error in loading shared libraries: libclntsh.so.8.0: cannot open shared object
> > file: No such file or directory". This file is not on my system anywhere.
> >

> I got that error with sqlplus and svrmgrl, with different libraries, I just create
> the necesary link to these files under /lib and they work.

Yes - I added the entry "/u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.5/lib" to my /etc/ld.so.conf and it worked. It seems there was something you were supposed to run after making that change (ldconfig maybe?) to make it take effect. In any case, it will take effect when you reboot.

Greg Received on Sat Nov 27 1999 - 12:21:09 CST