Re: Installing 8i on RH6.1 - Multiple problems

From: Greg McCann <gregm_at_well.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 10:11:41 -0800

wgunadi_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> In article <383C73F2.869B6EC8_at_well.com>,
> Greg McCann <gregm_at_well.com> wrote:
> > Has *anyone* gotten this to work correctly? I've followed the
> instructions
> > exactly and have run into one brick wall after another!
> >
> > Here is where I'm stuck now...
> >
> > 1. When the installer tries to automatically run the Oracle Database
> > Configuration Assistant, it fails with the error message "A required
> command
> > line argument is missing". I saw a message in this newsgroup saying
> that I
> > should be using jre 1.1.7v3 rather than the Oracle-recommended
> 1.1.6v5. I've
> > installed the newer jre and still get the same error.
>
> I just got the same problem as your problem no.1
> Have you resolved it yet?
> are you using the patch from Suse 6.2?
>
> Thanks
> -Wiwih Gunadi--

Wiwih,

I'm on about my sixth reinstall now after deinstalling everything and rm -rf /u01/*. One of the most confusing things about this process is that things that were broken magically start working and it is hard to determine exactly what made the difference.

I've finally gotten a relatively clean installation with only one error. "Unable to open file $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/dbmssml.sql" while Adding PL/SQL Support. Hope this isn't too important!

Here are a couple of things that I tried that may (or may not) help.

I am using JRE 1.1.7v3 rather than 1.1.6v5. I personally didn't notice that this fixed anything but others have said that this is important.

During my most successful installation I used the fvwm2 window manager instead of enlightenment (though I am back to using enlightenment now). I saw a note somewhere that said there were Oracle install problems with an older version of enlightenment. I am not confident that this made a difference though.

Also, in the Database Configuration Assistant I used the "Custom" database creation option rather than "Typical". Though I don't remember if it ran successfully from the installer or if I had to run it separately afterwards. It is in $ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbassist if you want to run it yourself. You may have to chmod +x it before it will run.

BTW, does anyone know why the "Minimal" OUI installation takes more space (642MB) than the "Typical" installation (585MB). Is this a typo?

dbassist will not let you remove a database unless $ORACLE_SID is set.

(And no, I'm not using the Suse 6.2 patch)

The thing I'm having trouble with now is getting the database to be distributed among the recommended mount points /u01, /u02, /u03, and /u04. The installation put everything under /u01 so it is now 88% full and the other mount points are unused. I don't know if I can select these other mount points as I create tables or if I missed some point where I was supposed to make a change to one of the defaults during installation.

HTH, Greg Received on Sat Nov 27 1999 - 12:11:41 CST