Re: Truncate table

From: fumi <fumi_at_tpts5.seed.net.tw>
Date: 26 Nov 1999 15:24:44 GMT

Liem T. Duong <af193_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message news:81j6o3$151_at_freenet-news.carleton.ca...

> Hi everybody !
> I want to grant user the truncate table privilege, according to ORACLE
> book, to execute this command user only needs delete privilege, I still
> have the error message insufficient privileges, any help is appreciated.
> Please email me at
> duongli_at_csc-scc.gc.ca
> Thanks in advance
> Liem Duong
> PeopleSoft Project
> Department Correctional Service
> Canada

Yes, it is a crankism of Oracle's manuals. In different version before Oracle8i, it may said "DELETE TABLE" or "DELETE ANY TABLE" privilege is needed. This document bug had remained for a long time. It is corrected in Oracle8i manual.

In order to truncate a table, the table must be in your schema or you must have DROP ANY TABLE system privilege. You can NOT grant a "truncate a table" privilege to another user. Received on Fri Nov 26 1999 - 09:24:44 CST