ORA-12504 w/Net 8

From: Sanford Ross <sanfordross_at_bigplanet.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 22:39:01 -0700

I am a newbie to Oracle (although recently certified as a developer) and I am trying to set up a test system on an NT box so that I can run Oracle Forms and Report Builder. I have installed Oracle8i and Developer 6.0 and have created a new database. I can connect to it with no problems through SQL*Plus (the one that comes with Oracle8i). But I cannot connect from Forms or any other "client" applications, so I think that it's a Net8 problem. The listener (I named it AZLIST) seems to be working and listening on port 1521. When I use a STATUS command in LSNRCTL it has services running for AZ and PLSExtProc. But when I try to connect, I get the error "ORA-12504 TNS: Listener was not given the SID in CONNECT_DATA. I think that the problem is in TNSNAMES.ORA, but I'm not sure. I've tried everything. I have included my LISTENER and TNSNAMES files below.

If anybody is successfully running Net8 on an NT box, can you please send me an example of your LISTENER and TNSNAMES files??? (and any other tips) I've browsed through a lot of Oracle books, but none seem to have examples that help my situation. Thank you.

LISTENER.ORA: # C:\ORACLE\ORA81\NETWORK\ADMIN\LISTENER.ORA Configuration File:C:\Oracle\Ora81\NETWORK\ADMIN\listener.ora # Generated by Oracle Net8 Assistant

SID_LIST_AZLIST =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
(ORACLE_HOME = C:\Oracle\Ora81)
(PROGRAM = extproc)

    )
    (SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = AZ)
(GLOBAL_DBNAME = az.world)
(ORACLE_HOME = C:\Oracle\Ora81)

     )
  )

AZLIST =
  (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = AZ))
(PROTOCOL_STACK =

        (PRESENTATION = TTC)
        (SESSION = NS)
      )

    )
    (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.168.1.1)(PORT = 1521))
(PROTOCOL_STACK =
        (PRESENTATION = TTC)
        (SESSION = NS)
      )

    )
  )

TNSNAMES.ORA: (I realize that I don't need this many service names, I have just been frustrated and have been trying everything!!!)

# C:\ORACLE\ORA81\NETWORK\ADMIN\TNSNAMES.ORA Configuration File:C:\Oracle\Ora81\NETWORK\ADMIN\tnsnames.ora # Generated by Oracle Net8 Assistant

AZLOC =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = AZ))