Re: Converting LONG to CHAR

From: <rtproffitt_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 16:37:01 GMT

Jerry,

We were on 7.3.4 at my previous job.... and a substantial number of columns were Long (basically all the significant data). It was a messy business dealing with them...

Load programs were written in Pro/C because the LONG data could go beyond 32K.

As long as I had a situation where I knew the LONG field would not extend beyond a limit (32K I think), I did ok writing a PL/SQL parsing procedure...fetch the Long and Loop through long Varchar2, breaking into parts, etc... otherwise, our only solution was to go outside Oracle into another language like Pro/C or Delphi...

I don't know about Oracle 8...
Comments anyone?

Robert Proffitt

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Nov 23 1999 - 10:37:01 CST