Re: New TO ORACLE ( Cant connect to Database)

From: aymeric barantal <mric_at_grolier.fr>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 12:53:31 +0100

[Cc by mail]
Will Fran <aschimount_at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:81cu50$536$1_at_nclient15-gui.server.virgin.net...
> Hi
>
> I'm about to start studying for my OCP from home: Application Developer.
>
> Problems !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please help.
>
> First, the company I work for brought NetWare 5 which comes with Oracle 8
> server & client.
> Install the Oracle 8 server on NetWare 5 & the client on my laptop seem ok
> but I cant connect to the database on the server.

First you may have a look and configure on your client the file tnsnames.ora that may contain a list of aliases for database connection over several protocols (TCP may the only one needed in your case).

To handle connections from client, you need a listener on your server, validate first that a such process is started on your server.

hints :
use Oracle Net8 assistant to create your tnsnames file, syntax problems will be excluded

    aymeric barantal (mric)
    dba @ grolier interactive europe Received on Tue Nov 23 1999 - 05:53:31 CST