Re: problem with installing Oracle developer and server

From: JerryC <jcassell_at_doe.state.vt.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 19:59:57 GMT

Wim -
I can only speak to Oracle8i (8.1.5) and Developer 6.0 but I've recently experienced what may be the same problem. The word I got from Oracle support is that DEVELOPER has to be installed BEFORE the database. Seemed a bit dim to me, but by changing the sequence, my installs were able to complete. Here's the note I got from support

Purpose
This note describes how to install Oracle Developer / Oracle Developer Server Release 6.0 and Oracle 8i (8.1.5) on the same physical machine in separate ORACLE_HOMEs on NT.

Note: Oracle Developer on NT currently supports separate Oracle_Homes for this configuration and for Developer 6.0 and OAS 4.0.8. See Note 74793.1

Installation Procedure
Follow this procedure to install Developer 6.0 and Oracle 8i on the same physical machine in separate ORACLE_HOMEs on NT: 1) Install Developer 6.0 using the instructions on the Developer CD.
Specify an appropriate drive and the ORANT directory as the destination. For example:
D:\ORANT
Note: You must install Developer in the Oracle home named DEFAULT_HOME.
2) Install RDBMS 8.1.5 from the Oracle 8i CD. Specify the following information when prompted for the Oracle Home and Full path:

   Oracle Home                ora8i
   Full Path                  d:\orant\ora8i

Choose Typical Install
   Global Database Name       ora8i.us.oracle.com    (This is an
example)
   SID                        ORA8I                  (This is an
example)

As the product installs, a summary is displayed that shows the products that are installed and the space requirements. When the installation is complete, the following information is displayed and the installer exits:
Oracle Database Configuration Assistant Alert Database Creation Completed.
Database Information

   Global Database Name            ora8i.us.oracle.com
   SID                             ORA8I
   Sys password                    change_on_install
   System passwd                   manager

3)	A TNSNAMES entry needs to be created in the tnsnames.ora file
for the new Oracle 8i installation. You can find the file in:

d:\orant\net80\admin\tnsnames.ora
A default entry will look like this:
alias.world
(DESCRIPTION
(ADDRESS_LIST
(ADDRESS
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = )
(Port = )

           )
       )

(CONNECT_DATA = (SID = )
) )

For example, if you installed on a machine with a HOSTNAME of TEST, a SID named ORA8I, on TCP/IP with port 1521, and an alias of NEW, you would create the following entry:
NEW.world
(DESCRIPTION
(ADDRESS_LIST
(ADDRESS
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = TEST)
(Port = 1521)

           )
       )

(CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORA8I)
) ) 4) If you manually created the entry, save and close the
tnsnames.ora file.

You can now connect to the local database instance of 8i using the DBSTRING as NEW. For example, you can connect as scott/tiger_at_NEW.

In article <8134bd$mrr$1_at_naxos.belnet.be>,   "Wim Valgaeren" <valgaeren_at_softhome.net> wrote: > I'm trying to install Oracle developer and server on an NT SP3 computer.

--
JerryC

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Nov 19 1999 - 13:59:57 CST