Re: 2 Oracle or not 2 Oracle ?

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BlueSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 07:43:22 -0500

Lance Orndorff wrote:

> I am a database novice by most standards. My task is to find the best db
> solution for data warehousing a data set that includes numbers, text, mixed
> characters, and text strings of up to 1000 characters; to be used in simple
> operations and complex data mining. I have readily a supported NT platform, a
> semi-supported Linx and the potential for Sun flavored Unix. Bo one in house
> is a db user/support per se. So learning curve is critical. What shall I do? My
> assumption is that Oracle is the the best choice of among Pick, Sybase,
> Informix, SQL, or others. What do I use? Where do I start? This is my first
> and most important newsgroup posting. If you would be so good to forward ansers
> to Lance_at_-DELETETHIS-pagelink.com I would be so apprecitive. By the way, I will
> be parsing 8 gig of text a day and selectively storing the info. So the
> solution needs to have portability and expansion at its core.

What you need to do is contact Oracle sales and get lined up for a presentation to your management. The sales rep will be able to demo the product and provide you with answers to your production questions. Oracle is clearly the best solution, but you need to make decisions about how to implement it. Everyone on the newsgroups has their preferences and they may not meet your needs. An Oracle sales rep will be able to steer you away from bad choices and provide you with a suite of tools that will enable you to get your job done efficiently and accurately. Received on Fri Nov 19 1999 - 06:43:22 CST