2 Oracle or not 2 Oracle ?

From: Lance Orndorff <l5980511_at_aol.com-NOJUNK>
Date: 19 Nov 1999 04:23:15 GMT

I am a database novice by most standards. My task is to find the best db solution for data warehousing a data set that includes numbers, text, mixed characters, and text strings of up to 1000 characters; to be used in simple operations and complex data mining. I have readily a supported NT platform, a semi-supported Linx and the potential for Sun flavored Unix. Bo one in house is a db user/support per se. So learning curve is critical. What shall I do? My assumption is that Oracle is the the best choice of among Pick, Sybase, Informix, SQL, or others. What do I use? Where do I start? This is my first and most important newsgroup posting. If you would be so good to forward ansers to Lance_at_-DELETETHIS-pagelink.com I would be so apprecitive. By the way, I will be parsing 8 gig of text a day and selectively storing the info. So the solution needs to have portability and expansion at its core. Received on Thu Nov 18 1999 - 22:23:15 CST