Re: PL/SQL Package Standards

From: paul cluiss <paul_cluiss_at_intervoice.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 16:30:53 -0600

Carol,

The only "standards" I'm of which I am aware are the accepted software engineering standards of modularity and encapsulation, which are by no means universally accepted or practiced, but in most cases they should be. I usually group things together which are conveniently thought to form a cohesive set of functions, constants, etc. Anything that's not related to this group doesn't go into the group, but everything that is related does. This is the "art" of software development. Additionally, at one time I worked with a guy who said that he starts breaking his modules into smaller modules when it starts taking too long to compile the monolithic module. This is the practical side of software development that seems to occur during the development cycle, because at the beginning often developers don't completely understand the problem, so the design is formed along the way as the software is transformed into something more substantial. Your solution probably lies somewhere in between these two extremes.

I can say that I've never had this shared memory pool problem you're experiencing, probably because our machines are oversized.

Good luck,

Paul Cluiss
Dallas, Texas