Re: Partitioning tables

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 18:46:53 -0000

There are several variables to consider.

You might be better off with one partition per week as this could allow increased (and indexed) parallelism if all your queries cover a small but mobile range of weeks.

This might give you too many partitions, of course, and very small partitions, which might have a bit of nuisance value.

Ideally you do not want to have to split a partition that contains data. So an alternative to one partition per week is to pick a physical partition size and decide on a fixed number of weeks to go into it, then pre-create a few partitions ahead all the time.

You could, however, max the top partition terminate at MAXVALUE, so that no data is ever rejected with 'value beyond partition limit'; however you may then have to split the partition at a new week boundary, and this could take some time.

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Jenda Krynicky wrote in message <1103_942941750_at_prague_main>...
>I have a huge table (OK, OK ... most of you have seen bigger ;-) and would
like to partition it (I think it