Re: Unable to connect to Oracle 8

From: Nandakumar <N.Kumar_at_rocketmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 20:29:33 GMT

Hi

  1. When you TNSPING80 your TNSNAME (DEV) you get the HOST name, PORT Number (normally 1521) displayed on screen, with OK at the end. command on NT: change dir to oracle_home/bin/tnsping80 DEV

 If you see 'OK', there is no problem with TNS configuration.

 Note: Hostname in the TNSNAMES.ORA could be either DOMAIN NAME (like www.myhost.com) or its IP address (like 200.110.201.1 .  If DOMAIN NAME is used, you need to have DOMAIN NAME SERVER (DNS) or NAME SERVER (NS) running on your system to resolve IP ADDRESS. If no DNS or NS available, only way to connect to server is by having hard coded IP address in the TNSNAMES.ORA

2) this is what, i guess, could help you solve your problem.

 Check your ORACLE_HOME environment variable. You may not need this to be set to invoke any ORACLE CLIENT. But to connect to ORACLE SERVER certainly this environment variable is required. (clients keep this as the base dir to locate tnsnames.ora and other config files)

pls. ask NT gurus how to make sure ORACLE_HOME is set and it's available in all sessions (exported). ( my exp. is on unix)

3) Check your path

 If many oracle instances are installed on your system, make sure the oracle_home having your tnsnames.ora config file, comes before all other oracle homes in the PATH.

i guess, this is time for oracle to listen to us!.

regards
Nanda

In article <807qo7$soh$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   davbuell_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Thanks for the information! I have almost the identical problem:
>
> 1] New install of 8i on NT server
> 2] New install of 8i on NT clients
> 3] I can connect on the server specifying the service name (@DEV),
> or not specifying the service (I presume that not referencing
> the service, while on the server, will connect you to the instance
> on the same machine, with the SID identical to some environment
> variable).
> 4] Copied the tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora from the server to a client
> machine.
> 5] From the client, I can ping the server.
> 6] From the client, I can tnsping the server! Doesn't this mean that
> the server's listener can hear me?????
>
> But -
>
> I can't connect from the client to the server, using SQLPLUS or
> server manager... (ora-12545). The trace file shows secondary
> error code: 12560, nt main errcode: 515, TNS-00515, nt secondary
> error code: 1001, nt OS err code: 0.
>
> We've tried various configurations of the client software, on the
> client - all 8i products, but different combinations of options
> in the install. We've tried various options on the client side,
> with the NET8 assistant. We've tried mucking about with the
> OS authentication stuff, on the server side. We're most in the
dark
> with the NT environment server-side stuff, as I'm coming from an
> HP-Unix background (although my colleague has a strong NT
> background).
>
> This kind of stuff is annoying, as it seems that oftentimes the
> solution is not in the documentation, or relates to a bug, etc...
> Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave Buell
> davbuell_at_yahoo.com
>
> In article <7v7031$u03$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> rock_cogar_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > Good point! On the services panel on the server's control panel
> (assume
> > it is NT) make sure that the Oracle listener (i.e.
"OracleListener?")
> > and database service (i.e. "oracleserviceorcl?") is running. If not
> > restart them.
> >
> > Next, test SQL*Net (Net8) on the server itself. Adjust / repair /
> > configure as needed. Next, repeat on you colleague's desktop. Now
try
> > testing on you desktop. If that does not work and your config file
(or
> > all of them, if multiple installs) TNSNAMES.ORA is really the same
> then
> > make sure your Oracle Client software is also the same.
> >
> > Usually, I find errors (out of date values) in TNSNAMES.ORA files
> cause
> > the most connection failures at the Net8 level.
> >
> > Rock Cogar.
> > Radian International LLC.
> >
> > In article <7v51ji$6ai$1_at_plo.sierra.com>,
> > "Steve McDaniels" <steve.mcdaniels_at_sierra.com> wrote:
> > > Is the LISTENER running?
> > >
> > > (check NT services, set it to auto on startup)
> > >
> > > Matthew Jones <m.jones_at_misd.lon.ac.uk> wrote in message

Oracle

--
Nandakumar
(N.Kumar_at_rocketmail.com)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Nov 17 1999 - 14:29:33 CST