Re: Oracle Transparent Gateways

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 18:35:41 +0800

Kenneth C Stahl wrote:

> Could someone provide a brief description of what a transparent gateway
> provides?
>
> Is there a transparent gateway that will run on a Unixware platform to
> access a Sql Server 6.5 database running on an NT server?

The theory is that you just run your normal standard Oracle SQL against the remote source (via a dblink) and the gateway "magically" converts into the SQL that the other vendor db will understand...

I've used the Oracle => DB2 one before and it does work albeit a little slowly...Similarly, sometimes joins across the nodes caused a few dramas, but on the whole, it was fine.

--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Tue Nov 16 1999 - 04:35:41 CST