Oracle ODBC 2.5 slams my 7.3.4!

From: Raindrop Support <support_at_Raindrop.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 11:57:08 -0000

We have a multi-cpu NT server running 7.3.4. It has a single instance with
>50 tablespaces (client data copies). Any application that connects via ODBC
(Access, Excel) seems to really hammer the Oracle. Performance really dies.

Our normal applications are based on Uniface and do not use ODBC but SQL-NET directly. This does not impact our Oracle.

We believe that when the ODBC connects it accesses all the instance and then restricts itself to the logon's rights. If this is true, it is accessing the central data dictionaries which based on 50+ tablespaces with 1400+ tables in each one is presumably quite large. Is there anything we can do to reduce the ODBC impact?

TIA. Received on Tue Nov 16 1999 - 05:57:08 CST