Re: Oracle Job Queues

From: Rod Corderey <RodCorderey_at_Lane-Associates.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 07:37:16 +0000

Hi Jay,

have you tried using DBMS_PIPE to pipe a run request to a Pro COBOL or Pro C executable which in turn executes whichever 3GL is to be run.

DBMS_JOB could then schedule a PLSQL procedure which could execute the DBMS_PIPE call.

The whole process would be parameterised so that it would become a generic execution layer.

A potential alternative would be DBMS_ALERT executed from within a Pro C executable. The 3GL waits on the alert which is raised by a PLSQL procedure executed via DBMS_JOB and then executes the required 3GL. Lots of ways to parameterise it.

regards

Rod Corderey

Lane Associates
RodCorderey_at_Lane-Associates.com