Re: oracle is better?

From: <jonathanhoward_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 20:36:46 GMT

If you are planning to SS7 you definately do not need to go for the Oracle EE whicvh is the more expensive solution. Why nit go for the Oracle 8i server which on list price is cheaper than SS. Oracle 8i server works very well. Check out their run-time pricing as well as thier partnership program where you can get really good benefits

Regards h=jonathan

In article <bzWW3.1912$Zu4.31165_at_news1.rdc1.mb.home.com>,   "Multifarious" <multifarious_at_home.com> wrote:
> Zusch,
>
> Comparing Oracle to Sqlserver is like comparing an apple to orange.
Their
> both fruit but sure taste different.
>
> When you are looking at a database solution, it is important to
consider all
> the factors. Does your company need scalability? What level of
security is
> needed? How many transactions per second/minute/hour/day are
expected?
> Will the application be 7x24? What is your in-house expertise? What
is
> your training budget?
>
> SQLserver will run fine on NT with it's limitations and it's limited
> security. Oracle can be run on just about any platform available and
can be
> made secure to the extreme depending on the platform selected.
>
> If you application is going to be small and remain small then
SQLserver may
> be the solution for you. If the app will expand and perhaps connect
> other systems, you may quickly out grow SQLserver.
>
> If the application is going to grow, a higher end database will be
required.
> Oracle is not the only high end rdbms available, but it is definitely
one
> of, if not the best! Yes, the products are expensive, but it is also
true
> that you get what you pay for. I have learned this through 25 years
of
> experience in the industry.
>
> You have mentioned that you expect 500,000 records but you do not
mention
> the type or amount of data collected in the fields of these records.
If you
> saving large amounts of data in large fields within your rows, you may
find
> performance problems with any product. Plan your system with extreme
care,
> then consider the underlying database product.
>
> Just my two cents,
>
> Brian W. Chester
>
> The views are my own and do not reflect those of any affiliated
> organization.
>
> ZUSCH wrote in message

<19991110152512.11284.00003309_at_ng-fa1.aol.com>...
> >My company is in a quandry between Oracle + SQL Server 7. Our main
fear is
> >that SQL will not be able to hold the amount of data we wish to store
> (all-text
> >records, an upwards of 500,000 rows) Also, can anyone explain why
Oracle
> is SO
> >MUCH more expensive than SQL? Microsofts answer was that it is
"their
> >mentality to want the small business to have access to this
technology).
> Can
> >anyone comment to the contrary? Please o please. reply to:
> >kmorris_at_goplanet.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Nov 15 1999 - 14:36:46 CST