Re: Oracle version question: 8.0 vs 8i ???

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 14:27:32 -0500

A copy of this was sent to "Dr. Z-Open" <foobar_at_document.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Mon, 15 Nov 1999 13:59:44 -0500, you wrote:

>Hello Folks,
>
>Clearly if I'm posting this query I am not an Oracle guy <newbie alert!>
>
>Be that as it may, can someone spell-out the "Oracle 8" major version(s)?..
>is there an "8.0" *and* an "8i", or are these one in the same? Furthermore,
>can someone please note what is the latest minor (patch) release version
>of "8*"?
>
>Thanks very much!

There are:

Oracle7, release 7.3
Oracle8, release 8.0
Oracle8i, release 8.1

Really, there are three versions to be concerned about -- the names are just names -- they are all the same thing "the database".

Oracle8i is currently shipping with version 8.1.5.0. there is a patchset that is either coming or has arrived on various platforms to make this become 8.1.5.1.

Oracle8i "release 2" has been announced. This is really version 8.1.6. http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/991115/ca_oracle__8.html

Oracle8 is shipping 8.0.6.0 as well. This is Oracle8, release 8.0.

Too view the differences between these releases, you might want to goto http://technet.oracle.com/ and under the Oracle8i server documentation there is a guide "Getting to know Oracle8i", it spells out the differences between the versions...

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Mon Nov 15 1999 - 13:27:32 CST