Re: Downloading Personal Oracle for Windows 98

From: Roger Bowden <roger_at_nomads.swinternet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 19:33:21 -0000

I have Personal Oracle 8.0.4 running on my Pentium PII 400, 128Mb RAM, archivelog mode and a database of around 350 Mb. It runs OK but is a bit slower than the one at work on the Alpha. I use it for training myself for the OCP exams and any stuff I can't get to do at work.
It installed easily and is easy to run. One thing is that Enterprise Manager doesn't seem to be able to see it. I don't know why. Officially there is very little difference between Personal Oracle and the Enterprise edition (?? how true I don't know) but I would suggest for "proper databases" you should get the Enterprise edition for NT.

As another point I also run NT on this machine. I bought System Commander Deluxe, very similar to Partition Magic, which allows the installing of multiple OS's on the same machine with a minimum of fuss. Very easy to use (Read The Book !) and recommended if you don't have too much knowledge , like me.

Hope you get on OK,
Regards Roger :-)