NLS_PARAMETERS in 8?

From: Norman Dunbar <ndunbar_at_lynxfinancialsystems.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 13:10:31 -0000

Not sure about NT, but I had a similar problem two weeks ago on HP-UX. Check out NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS in the server reference manual. This allows you to override the settings derived from NLS_TERRITORY (in case these are wrong). In INIT<SID>.ORA, put this :

NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS = ',.' That was a comma and a dot. The first (comma) is the decimal character, the second (dot) is the group separator. This combination means that any numeric values now have to be in quotes if the decimal character is not a dot and/or the group separator is used in numbers. (See section 4-24 in server reference for details.)

Also (?) Check out the setting for NLS_LANG which I had to set to AMERICAN_AMERICA_WE8DEC to get the character set I wanted. (We import dumps from Germany and need the accented characters but a copy database was dropping the accents even though it has a WE8DEC character set.

HTH. Regards Norman Dunbar.