Re: Newbie2 error 936 Missing Expression

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 12:29:46 -0500

A copy of this was sent to ywure_at_interaccess.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Sat, 13 Nov 99 16:37:01 GMT, you wrote:

>College Student needs help
>
>I keep getting a missing expression error. I've used number and varchar and
>various insert combinations and can't rid the error message. Professor
>suggested what I am using now for product_make_table. No success.
>
>have attached a spool file and the two sql files needed.
>
>Thanx
>
>Jim Quinlan

SQL> INSERT INTO PRODUCT (P_CODE,P_DESCRIPT,P_INDATE,P_ONHAND,P_MIN,P_PRICE,P_DI

SCOUNT) VALUES('23114-AA',   'Sledge hammer, 12 lb.',                '01-Dec-96'
,    8,      5,      14.40,      0.05, ) ;

INSERT INTO PRODUCT (P_CODE,P_DESCRIPT,P_INDATE,P_ONHAND,P_MIN,P_PRICE,P_DISCOUN
T) VALUES('23114-AA',   'Sledge hammer, 12 lb.',            '01-Dec-96',    8,
5,  14.40,      0.05, )

                      *

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00936: missing expression

You have an extra trailing comma on some lines. It is expecting another expression after "0.05," but you've not given it one.

lose the extra comma.

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Sat Nov 13 1999 - 11:29:46 CST