Getting started with Java and Oracle

From: Greg McCann <gregm_at_well.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 13:00:22 -0800

My previous experience in developing database applications for the internet has been with Perl and mySQL.

I am about to begin a project where the client has specified the use of Java and Oracle. Our intended development platform is Apache and Linux.

I am bewildered by the various options available and I would appreciate some general guidance regarding the configuration of this system. I'm happy to RTFM, but at this point I don't even know *which* Fine Manuals to start reading. I also don't know how much of Oracle's "information" to trust and how much is just marketing hype for products I really don't need.

Some questions:

Oracle 8 vs. 8i - Is 8i necessary or desirable for developing internet applications with Oracle? Is it fundamentally different from Oracle 8 or is it just Oracle 8 bundled with additional development and connectivity tools?

Java development tools, compilers, drivers, etc. - I think there is some overlap between Oracle-supplied tools and open-source solutions. I prefer to use open-source solutions where possible. What are my choices?

Is a windowing environment (like X-Windows) required to use these development tools on Linux?

Sorry - I'm not even sure if I'm asking all the right questions. I'd appreciate any advice or pointers to FAQs or web pages that you can give.

What would be really helpful is 1.) A generic description of the applications I will need to connect Apache to Java to Oracle. 2.) The sources for those applications - whether Oracle, open source, or other. 3.) Suggestions for additional, optional development tools that may be helpful.

Thanks,

Greg

--

Gregory McCann
http://www.calypteanna.com

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." Saint Philo of Alexandria Received on Fri Nov 12 1999 - 15:00:22 CST