Re: ORA -01034 ORACLE not available

From: Rick Wessman <rwessman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 12 Nov 1999 09:59:54 -0800

Loki-2 <bart.van.hest_at_fair.nl> writes:

> I got the same ORA-01034 error this morning for 1 out of 3 databases:
>
> > Yep, your database is not running.
>
> o.k., but it should have started up automatically after the system
> reboot: something went wrong...
>
> > Assuming you're the correct user (oracle by default) do:
> > oracle>svrmgrl
> > connect internal
> > startup
> >

> The log-file states that the instance is started and gives info
> on the System Global Area, etc. Next i get this message:
> ORA-3113 end-of-file on communication Channel

Unfortunately, this error can happen for a variety of reasons. Have you checked for trace files in your RDBMS log directory (On NT: %ORACLE_HOME%\rdbms\log, UNIX: $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/log). If there are trace files there and they have stack traces in them, then the server died for some reason so you should contact Oracle support to see if there is a fix.

If not, enable Net8 (SQL*Net in versions prior to Oracle8) tracing at level 16 and check the trace files to see what the problem might be.

                                           Rick

--

                                Thanks,
                                Rick

     The opinions expressed above are mine and do not necessarily reflect
                         those of Oracle Corporation.