Re: oracle is better?

From: Multifarious <multifarious_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 15:41:59 GMT

Zusch,

Comparing Oracle to Sqlserver is like comparing an apple to orange. Their both fruit but sure taste different.

When you are looking at a database solution, it is important to consider all the factors. Does your company need scalability? What level of security is needed? How many transactions per second/minute/hour/day are expected? Will the application be 7x24? What is your in-house expertise? What is your training budget?

SQLserver will run fine on NT with it's limitations and it's limited security. Oracle can be run on just about any platform available and can be made secure to the extreme depending on the platform selected.

If you application is going to be small and remain small then SQLserver may be the solution for you. If the app will expand and perhaps connect to other systems, you may quickly out grow SQLserver.

If the application is going to grow, a higher end database will be required. Oracle is not the only high end rdbms available, but it is definitely one of, if not the best! Yes, the products are expensive, but it is also true that you get what you pay for. I have learned this through 25 years of experience in the industry.

You have mentioned that you expect 500,000 records but you do not mention the type or amount of data collected in the fields of these records. If you saving large amounts of data in large fields within your rows, you may find performance problems with any product. Plan your system with extreme care, then consider the underlying database product.

Just my two cents,

Brian W. Chester

The views are my own and do not reflect those of any affiliated organization.

ZUSCH wrote in message <19991110152512.11284.00003309_at_ng-fa1.aol.com>...
>My company is in a quandry between Oracle + SQL Server 7. Our main fear is
>that SQL will not be able to hold the amount of data we wish to store
(all-text
>records, an upwards of 500,000 rows) Also, can anyone explain why Oracle
is SO
>MUCH more expensive than SQL? Microsofts answer was that it is "their
>mentality to want the small business to have access to this technology).
Can