Re: Problem - Oracle 8.0.5 with Red Hat Linux 6.1

From: John Purser <j_purser_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 07:38:49 -0700

You need to download gzip as well as tar. I don't think winzip will work with tgz files. If I recall correctly you can download GNU tar and gzip binaries for WIN 32 platformss from sourceware.cygnus.com. Windows with winzip gets confused with extensions on some of the gzip files, extensions of .tar.gz tend to drop the .gz extension. The bottom line is run the input file through gzip then take the gzip output and run through tar. i.e. gzip -d glibcpatch.tgz
tar -xvf glibcpatch.tar

If you have the right version of tar you can use the single line: tar -xvzf glibcpatch.tgz

JP