Re: size limitation in a query

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 13:54:58 -0500

A copy of this was sent to Ed Prochak <prochak_at_my-deja.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Thu, 11 Nov 1999 17:57:44 GMT, you wrote:

>In article <C9ApOKDHBTJab2ld++RAR=3AZC05_at_4ax.com>,
> tkyte_at_us.oracle.com wrote:
>> A copy of this was sent to Ron <ron168_at_yahoo.com>
>> (if that email address didn't require changing)
>> On Wed, 10 Nov 1999 12:54:37 -0500, you wrote:
>>
>> >What is the maximum size(length) of a query statement for a single
>line
>> >or multiple lines...that Oracle can handle?
>>
>> From the limits section of the reference manual:
>>
>> SQL Statement Length
>>
>> maximum length of statements 64K maximum;
>>
>> particular tools may impose lower limits

>> sqlplus for example imposes a max line length of about 255 characters
>(need a
>> newline before 255) but lets you use a line continuation character to
>glue >1
>> line together.
>>
>> other tools = different limits.
>>

>Tom,
>
>I've not come near this limit but it does bring to mind a question: Does
>ORACLE strip the excess whitespace (e.g., newlines, trailing spaces)?
>How does this affect the reuse of the query (i.e., when the parser
>checks to see if it's done this one before)?

the database itself does not.

various tools do.

If you set a pro*c varchar2 host variables length or use a CHAR -- the database gets that entire string (upto .len bytes from the varchar2, upto max field width from a char). pro*c can submit statements easily that have trailing spaces.

Other environments do other things, it depends.

the database parse takes what is given it. various environments will feed it different inputs given the same inputs to them.

>Just curious.
> ed

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Thu Nov 11 1999 - 12:54:58 CST