Re: No. of rows in a block

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 12:59:39 -0500

Yes,

    The basic formula (for Oracle 7 -- I think some of the details are slightly different for Oracle 8) is:

            Block size - block header - (PCTFREE * block_size) / (row size) where:

                Block header = fixed portion + variable portion
                 and fixed portion = 57 + 23(INITRANS)
                 and variable porition = 4 + 2(rows in block)

                Row size = header + data size
                  and header = 3 + number of short columns +
3(number of long columns)
                  and data size (assuming worst case) = sum(max
width of each column)

        The above was derived from Kevin Loney's Oracle DBA Handbook from Oracle Press.

hth
Jerry Gitomer

senthil wrote in message <80c1vb$umh$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
>Hi Claire,
>sorry, my question was wrong, Here it is, how to find a number
of rows
>in a block. Is there any specific formula for that.
>Thanks for your reply
>senthil
>
>In article <hdeW3.333$ws.8060318_at_news1.mtl.metronet.ca>,
> "Claire M." <cmarcoux_at_webnet.qc.ca> wrote:
>> If you whant to know the number of records that your query
whill
>retreave
>> then at the runtime, in the query menu you will find the count
all.
>> Or may be I did'nt undurstand your question.
>> Hope it is whant you need.
>> Claire M
>>
>> senthil a écrit dans le message

<809jcr$4n7$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
>> >Hi,
>> >How to find a number of blocks in a block. Is there any
specifi