Re: SQL*Net vs Net8 coexistence and priority ???

From: Multifarious <multifarious_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 16:37:32 GMT

Kevin,

The answer to this depends on the tool you are using to connect to the server. If you are using SQL*plus 3.x or lower, it will use V2 of SQL*net. If you are using SQL*plus 8, it will use Net8. For Developer and Designer, versions 2.x or lower will use v2 and version 6 of the two products will use Net8. ODBC depends on the whether you are using the microsoft driver of the Oracle drivers. The Microsoft drivers with ship with VB6 only used my V2 while the drivers which came with my O8PE used the Net8.

Hope this helps.

Kevin A Lewis <KevinALewis_at_Hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%DBW3.48$bD4.1486_at_newreader.ukcore.bt.net...
> We have a client set up with both SQL*Net v2 and Net8 in the same
> ORACLE_HOME and with the same servers defined in the
> NETWORK/admin/tnsnames.ora and NET8/admin/tnsnames.ora configuration
files.

> Can anyone tell me what determines the priority of use at the client end.
> Which will the PC use to make the connection.
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Kevin A Lewis (BOCM PAULS LTD - Animal Feed Manufacturer - Ipswich
England)