Re: ODBC Error

From: Gerard van Dorth <gerard.van.dorth_at_vdc-it.nl>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 10:34:11 +0100

Guess you ran out of memory, check your cursor type: if stuff gets really huge the only way to go is a forward only cursor.

Here is another example of that error:

If the result set being returned by SQLRetrieve contains a large number of elements (usually more than 5,461 cells), the SQLRetrieve function will return an 'Error 2042' error code and will fail to return the results to the specified worksheet location. The number of elements that can be returned is dependent on the available memory on your computer.

To determine how many elements are being returned by the query, multiply the number of columns in the result set by the number of rows. For example, a result set of 2 columns and 2,700 records contains 5,400 elements, or cells.

The best way is to use forward only cursors, another way might be a retrieval to a file: SQLRetrievetofile ...

Hope this helps