Re: NO Listener

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BlueSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 10:00:58 -0500

dave_at_codycomp.com wrote:

> I have a setup in which I can connect from one server to another
> normally, but ONLY when the machines are connected by ethernet. If I
> remove the Ethernet connection, and connect the same two machines using
> a dialup, I get TNS: No Listener.
>
> Is there something peculiar about connecting through a dialup network?
> This is very frustrating.
>
> NB Both machines have NT4 on them.
>
> Someone has surely figured out how to connect through a dialup. Please
> help.
>
> Davd Heffner
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

You can't just make a dial-up connection. The connection must support one of the protocols supported by sqlnet and you must have a listener set up for that protocol. Is this not clear from the documentation? It isn't even reasonable to expect oracle to be able to communicate over a straight serial connection without some type of communications protocol. Received on Tue Nov 09 1999 - 09:00:58 CST