Re: Amount of Swap

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 21:28:25 GMT

In article <806tk2$5rn$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Jim Adams <jsadamsjr_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> Looking at Sun's Managing Oracle8 on solaris 2.X. It recommends 1 GB
of
> swap for each 256 MB of RAM. We're getting a E4500 with 2 GB of RAM
> installed. Thus I should allocate 8 GB of disk space for the swap?
It
> seems a bit excessive as it takes up almost half of the disks 18.2 GB
of
> storage. Any thoughts on the optimum amount.

Sun's recommendation are not unrealistic depending on your applications. Generally most Unix vendors seem to recommend at least 2X memory with 2X to 4X being considered normal. One of the Oracle manuals has an example where they discuss the fact a 1G SGA could consume 1G in memory management pages plus more swap to actually hold the SGA. I would recommend that you at least allocate 2X. You may not need this if your load is lite and you have oversized memory, but I have worked on a sun where the customer set up a swap of only about 256M with 2G memory. If ran for several months then one day it pretty well locked up. The problem was no swap. Our administrators reconfigured it for them and the overall performance was much improved.

--
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Nov 08 1999 - 15:28:25 CST